DuncanHorse on the Run, with Mad

by Doranna

Things are starting to pick up in DuncanHorse World.  But first, a random bit of goodness:

Tiger Bound

Tiger Bound from England!

It’s an overseas version of Tiger Bound!  How cool is that?  I’m supposed to get copies of all international versions and I usually do (I have a small batch of foreign language books here that I admire every now and then), but this set came pretty promptly on the heels of the US version.  Neat!

Ahem.  So back to the big white pony, who is still dealing with flares from his severe reaction to the spring shots (which he’ll likely never get again, aside from tetanus).  A week or so ago I ordered him some $$$TransferFactor$$$, since my consulting vet has seen it work wonders for situations like his.  I wouldn’t know yet…they don’t seem to be in any great hurry to send it.

HURRY UP, PEOPLE!  Duncan and I are waiting.

Consulting Vet is ConneryBeagle’s chiropractic vet, and we’ve had some helpful casual conversations about Duncan’s situation over the summer.  I decided to make it official so I could really grill her (without friend-guilt!), so here we are.

Last week Consulting Vet also came by to poke around his furry white sides, chat about his diet, and ponder how to best manage the ongoing symptoms.  Duncan was sleepy in the sun in his early winter coat, and so willingly gave blood, schmoozed, and let himself be admired.

The blood work is just to eliminate certain concerns, after which we’re likely to do what I’ve been doing all summer–daily reality checks for the three subtle signs that he’s at the front edge of a flare, and tossing dexamethasone at him if I find anything.  It only seems to occur every couple of weeks–the heat seems to be a problem, so maybe winter will help, too–and at those doses, the steroids aren’t a big issue (barring ugly results on the blood work–I hope to know something this week).

Meanwhile, we’ve had some brisk mornings, and he does seem to be feeling a little better, yes he does.  But if a picture is worth a thousand words, a video…even better! Although I’m just now realizing that all the captions I put in the dark area in the video editor do not show up in the YouTube conversion. Oh, for pete’s sake..

(Don’t you wish you had that kind of energy?)

This entry was posted in DuncanHorse, Video, Writing and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to DuncanHorse on the Run, with Mad

So lovely, even in his Mad phase. Illusion also has the “hold that last mouthful of water” trick, and his preferred place to dump it is down a female front. He has a thing for cleavage.

Where did he want to go? What’s over there? And by the way, since ConneryBeagle was tweeting about it…are you going to tell us about that adventure?

It was a full weekend, so I’ll have to go see which adventure that might be. 8)

Duncan is also very happy to dump the water down someone’s shirt. I doubt it’s quite as calculating–he doesn’t necessarily prefer it, he’s just happy to do it.

I’ve never been able to figure out what draws him north. I could blame it on the mare who lives northish nearby, except she only arrived last spring and Duncan has been staring north for three years…

I have to go home to watch the video–work computer needs upgrading…Wil be interested to hear about the blood results.

4. Mona Karel says:

Duncan staring north sounds an awful lot like the premise to a new fantasy book. The last of his race, staring off into history or the future? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.
    I used Standard Process products for one of my dogs several years ago, good products but not always easy to get any kind of service from them.
    The ‘lukis are always more affectionate after a sloppy drink of water, or a good roll in the mud.

5. Sue Farrell says:

He’s so graceful—even when he’s just fooling around.

Patty–test results just in: CBC & chem, normal. Still waiting on metabolism. (She had some concerns that he’s got metabolic issues coming on. I could be all wet, but I’m not concerned I think what looks like crestiness is just “Lipizzan”–especially one that was cut after age 4. (Let us hope I am not all wet.)

Mona–I’ve used Standard Process. At this point, not impressed by how much they think of themselves/cost vs results. (OTOH, still waiting for Transfer Factor to ship…)

Sue–I do love to watch him!

Alas, I see one of the three signs of a flare out there right now, so…another steroid dose today. He made it about 10 days, which seems typical lately.

7. BlogPatty says:

Was it the neighbor’s Arab that instigated this? Hussy!

ROFL! No, I don’t think so. I can’t be sure, but really, he’s always looked off in this direction for his Mads. For all I know, it’s just because he wants to head uphill and be Out.

I wondered about whether he could smell some of the smoke from the burn–that’s the one thing that really sets him off. Not a dumb horse.

9. Barbara G. says:

Hmmmm. A book about “the Mads”. Maybe Duncan is keeping pace with a ghost horse who comes to visit. Or maybe just a ghost person. Let us know if you ever figure it out.

It’s been three years here, so…I’m guessing not. But if I ever do–!