Oh Dog Snobs, I Love You!

by Doranna

hear-ye-heay-ye1Okay, you know how once a quarter or so I write up a blog in which, after some sort of unpleasant or dangerous encounter, I rant (in a decorously restrained fashion) about people and their rude and uncontrolled and usually off-leash dogs?

The “my dog is friendly so you should just tolerate him/ make your dog tolerate him/ welcome him/ admire him/ endure him so I’m not inconvenienced by taking responsibility for him” (decorous) rant of fury?

The Dog Snobs do it so much better than I do.

This entry was posted in The Dogs! and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Oh Dog Snobs, I Love You!

My sentiments exactly.
    The big stick I carried when I was still able to walk with our dog wasn’t just for other dogs, it was also a visual aid to remind the other dogs owner not to mess with me or my dog.

I have found that people seem more responsive and responsible when you’re holding a big stick. My particular big sticks don’t look like walking sticks (one is, but it’s not extended). They look like what they are: things to hit uncontrolled dogs if they get too close.

I protect my dogs in casual situations–walking in places with other dogs, where the other dogs are on leash but giving my dogs a hard stare, straining toward us, etc–by quietly putting myself between the other dog and my dogs. I practiced the footwork for this extensively, and now do it as a matter of course. Putting my foot in another dog’s face only happens if that dog appears suddenly and I have no chance to avoid the encroachment on my dogs otherwise. But you know–if I can merely lift my foot and it finds itself in another dog’s face, then that dog is way too close.

2. Monica says:

Thanks for the blog suggestion! I would add “adorable children” to my list of irritations

There’s a reason that my much-smaller-than-your-dogs guys are either trained to jump up into my arms (Dart) or trained to be scooped up quickly and quietly. 😛

I think Rena will be able to jump into my arms eventually, too–we just haven’t messed with it yet.

3. Marilyn says:

Good post by the Dog Snobs. Learned a thing or three, too.

Loved the Dog Snob article. Dog owners let dogs charge up to horses too with the same: He’s friendly.” Grrr. Would love to have my horses trained to send one on a little flight.

You and me both!

• Marilyn says:

OK, my brain boggles at the idea of someone letting their dog charge up to a horse. Hello? Dogs are descended from wolves. Hunters. Horses are prey animals. And contrary to some peoples’ popular belief, the hunters don’t always win. I sure as Hades wouldn’t want to risk my dog getting a broken skull, ribs, or spine from those hooves!

5. sol_chrom says:

Oh Doranna, I adore you. Dog Snobs or no Dog Snobs.