Letters from Rena

by Rena Beagle

Dear Everyone:

My name is Rena Beagle.  I am New here.  I came from a place where things are Very Different than they are here.  I did not have Boy Beagles in my pack, and that is a good thing now.  But the ground There also had softness and dampness and greenness, and Here it has dryness and dustiness and pokey parts.  I have not Approved of those things yet.

I miss my Past Mom.  She found me in a shelter and she Gave me a Home.  She taught me agility and obedience and took me to Show Off what I could do in trials.  I run in AKC with a PAL listing.  That is Purebred Alternative Listing.  That means everyone knows I am a Beagle even if I do not have Papers.

(One day I will tell you how MORE people know I am a Beagle than they know my brothers are Beagles.  It gives the new mom a funny face.)

So I am a CGC dog and I have my Open Agility standard and jumpers titles (that is in the middle between novice and excellent) and I have my obedience CDX (that is in the middle between novice and utility).  But then things Changed and we could not play this way.  I was sad about this and my Past Mom was sad about this.

That is why I came Here.

This is the day I Got Here. I was a little Worried. My eyes do not Glow like that.

I am still getting used to Being Here.  The Boy Beagles were not hard to train, but the new mom is taking longer.  She has Different Ways and she says we will do mostly Foundation Activities until we know each other better.  That part is Okay.  She is Complicated.  She says I can boss the boys but I cannot Boss Her.

I have not Approved of this yet.

I am writing my Past Mom about these things.  She writes me back.  I will Share my part with you so you can see what I Mean.  If you like to hear my Thoughts and my Letters, maybe I will come back and do more.

Dear Past Mom:  I am a very clever dog.  The new mom says so.  I woke her up last night so I could go out.  I tapped on patio door that she had never once opened for me.  She said, “YOU ARE SO SMART!”  Then when I came in I was cold and I got to sleep right under the covers with her.  I am a Good Bed Dog.
I was in the new mom’s lap on the couch last night and ConneryBeagle went to where my Special Bed sits on the other beds and he seems to have An Opinion about it.  I am sending a picture.  I am still training him. Love, Rena
ConneryBeagle has an Opinion about my Bed.  Now he understands it is Superior and he Sleeps in it.  If I am NOT.

ConneryBeagle has an Opinion about my Bed. Now he understands it is Superior and he Sleeps in it. If I am NOT ALREADY THERE.

Dear Past Mom: This is Rena.  Today I wanted to tell you that I was a Good Girl for having my nails done.  Also I have been lap-napping on the new mom, and I have used my awesome Power of Beagle Gravity to keep her on the couch so I can keep napping.
PS here is a picture of me playing Catch the Treat.  I have a Face Malfunction. Love, Rena

It is not MUCH of a Face Malfunction.

It is not MUCH of a Face Malfunction.

Dear Past Mom:  This weekend I went to visit a show.  I did some Obedience Play and did the Front Paw Dance for the new mom.  People admired and kissed me!  This picture is My New Crate.  It is All Mine.  That is my New Crate Cover.  It is All Mine, too.  Dart Beagle is under the blue crate cover pretending to sleep.  I think my crate cover is Prettier. Love, Rena
That is my new crate.  It is Mine.

That is my new crate. It is Mine.  The crate cover is Mine, too.

Dear Past Mom: There is no telling what the new mom will do next.  This week she has made a Game with a Sitting Thing and a Clicker Thing.  Now I can get cookies for fitting myself onto the Sitting Thing!  It is not easy because it Moves in a Wobbly way.  But I am a Smart Dog and I can do it.  Then I get to Run Around with a Toy and that is Good.  The new mom is training up very nicely.  Love, Rena
disk.358

This Wobbly Thing is not as easy to Sit On as you Think.

Dear Past Mom:  It is noisy here, because the new mom has a dirt road and it is Being Paved.  The paving people Broke Things and the new mom could not make email happen for days, which seems like a Very Long Time.
In that time I have been Biking and I have played Agility and the new mom got out my Special Gloves and my Dumbbell so we have played with those too.  Dart Beagle is learning that the scent articles taste different from his dumbbell and he is not very good with them.  I am Much Better.  This is me telling him that.  Love, Rena
Do not be Familiar with a Lady, Dart Beagle!

Do not be Familiar with a Lady, Dart Beagle!

Dear Past Mom: We are practicing more Foundation Games.  The new mom says this is so we can Build our Own Language.  I think it would be easier if she Did Things just exactly the way you Did Things.
Today I discovered that the new mom thinks some of the toys are Hers.  I have sent a picture of me Discovering one of the toys she thinks is hers.  She is So Wrong.  But today I let her think she was Right because she said, “Here, Rena, THIS toy is yours” and gave me one of the Special Bones that the Boys are not allowed to have because they will Chew It To Bits.  I have sent a picture of me with Bone Happiness.  Love, Rena

The new mom cannot Hide Toys from me.

The new mom cannot Hide Toys from me.

The bone is Good, too.

The bone is Good, too.

Dear Past Mom:  So you will have something to smile about even if your arm is broken, I made sure there were Pictures of Me, Rena Beagle, doing my Obedience Things for the new mom.  We did practice when the new mom and her friend person did tracking for Dart Beagle.  The tracks have to be old so there is Time for More Important Things like me.  Love, Rena

First I did Heeling.

Then I showed off my special proud heeling for the new mom.

In utility I do a thing called Directed Retrieve.  There are Three Gloves to choose from. I am very fast when I go to the glove. We will talk about Choosing the Right Glove another time.

In utility I do a thing called Directed Retrieve. There are Three Gloves to choose from. I am very fast when I go to the glove. We will talk about Choosing the Right Glove another time.

I am Fast coming back from the glove, too.  We are on a Campus where many people do not have Polite Dogs and do not keep their Impolite Dogs on leash, so the new mom is protecting me with the Long Line.  I do not even Notice it.

I am Fast coming back from the glove, too. We are on a Campus where many people do not have Polite Dogs and do not keep their Impolite Dogs on leash, so the new mom is protecting me with the Long Line. I do not even Notice it.

And now I will give you a photo that is of me sharing space with the new mom and our new pack.  We are a Good Pack.

We are Pack. That is Dart Beagle showing off his Singular Part, and ConneryBeagle, and I am trying out the spot at the end. I have decided that mostly I will take the Lap.

Love, Rena Beagle

This entry was posted in Rena Beagle, The Dogs! and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Letters from Rena

1. Ruth says:

Hello, Rena! Thank you for sharing your parts of the letters. Everything there must be very different and new but I think it’s a good place.

Scritches for you and your new pack.

Ruth

• Rena Beagle says:

Hello Ruth Friend! I am getting used to it. There are lots of Cuddles.

2. Mona Karel says:

Rena, you’re looking GOOD there little lady. Coming to class sometime so the ‘lukis can meet you?

• Rena Beagle says:

I have concerns about coming to class because maybe it will be too Different for me. But the new mom says I could maybe split some time with Dart Beagle. I will have to Ponder it.

3. Suzan Morrow Farrell says:

It was so nice to hear from you Rena. You seem to be a VERY smart beagle and surely will have your new Mom trained in no time. I look forward to hearing more about you in the future as you settle in to your new pack.

• Rena Beagle says:

I am working hard to Train the new mom. She is stubborn about some things. It took her too long to realize that I am a Bedroom Dog. I had to go along with her idea about the crate and when I did that she suddenly gave me the Bedroom Spot. There is no telling what she’s thinking. But the next time maybe I will do the inexplicable thing she wants faster, and see if suddenly she Understands the Right Way again.

• Suzan Morrow Farrell says:

Angie Beagle and Benton Beagle have successfully trained me to sleep in their queen sized bed with them. They say it’s best that they keep me warm with beagle snuggles in our cold Minnesota winters and cut down on our gas bill. I did not realize that beagles were such heat machines–but they taught me fast.

• Rena says:

I have my Own Bed but sometimes I get to Bed Snuggle also and I am VERY GOOD AT IT.

4. Marilyn says:

Rena, you are an amazing Beagle Girl! It is too bad that your New Mom needs so much training. You may hear from Babette Beagle who lives with us. Like you, she does not have papers because her Past People just left her in our neighborhood. But she was smart and found Our House, where she now lives with two boy Dachshunds, Mr. Shadow, who is 15 years old, and Master Harper, who just turned 1 year. It is truly amazing just how smart a Girl Beagle can be. How are you going to train your New Mom to tell you which glove you are supposed to bring back? It will be very interesting to hear all about the Training in All Things.

• Rena Beagle says:

I will try to train the new mom that I get to Choose the Glove. I will do this by bringing her the wrong glove with such joy that she cannot stand to not Want It. I will use my Persistence! But it is strange that right now she is only giving me one love to Choose From. Hmm. I wonder what she is Up To? Maybe I can get some tips from Babette Beagle.

Rena–I really enjoyed your post and your letters! It sounds like you are getting things under control over there at a very nice pace! I have a horse here that had a very bad year somewhere else now he is getting me trained so that we can go out all over the place together! Good luck. You are going to have to think carefully about innovative ways to train your new mom!!!

• Rena Beagle says:

The new mom is going to be a Challenge. Much harder than Boy Beagles. Also, she has the Cookies.

I’m going to need a Strategy.

6. Babette Beagle says:

Rena Beagle! It is I, Babette Beagle! I do not know if I can Help with Training Your New Mom. So far, I have only managed to teach MyMissy how to Serve Meals on Time (and I have to Admit that MyShadow, who is 15, did most of that), and how to do a proper Beagle Skritch. That is when MyHarry calls “Beagle Catch!” and I trot in by MyMissy and sit down. She skritches behind my Ears, and over my Shoulders, and down my Spine to the Base of My Tail, and then walks her fingers back up my Spine to my Shoulders and finishes with a good Skritching Behind the Ears. She SAYS it is to keep me from Darting out the door when MyHarry leaves, but she does not hold my Collar, and she starts skritching the Moment I sit down next to her. So I think I can Train her to do other things, since she has learned “Beagle Catch!” really means “Beagle Skritch!” She just got some BEAUTIMOUS pictures of ME, and says that she wants to use them to see if she can get me a PAL like yours. And my DGs (that’s DogGodparents) have promised to take me to Classes so that maybe I can learn more about Training Humans like you do. You are Lucky to have Boy Beagles to train. I have Standard Longhaired Dachshunds, and they are BIGGER than me. MyShadow is Boss because of his Great Age. I am training The Harper, and he has finally learned the Beagle word for NO. I live where it is green and moist. I do not think I would Approve of dry and dusty and stickery, either.

• Rena Beagle says:

Hello, Babette Beagle! It was clever of you to train yourMissy to do Beagle Skritch. I am working on training the new mom to do “Morning Skritch.” I find her responsiveness to this particular training to be Most Agreeable. I am rewarding her with Soothing Sounds. She calls these “Whining under your Breath Morning Songs, Rena Beagle” but I think she should just call them “Morning Songs.”

• Babette Beagle says:

Morning Songs are GOOD. People sometimes have the oddest, long names for things. Some people do not appreciate the way we Beagles can SING. Rena Beagle, have you ever Climbed a Tree or Walked a Fence? Connery told me he thought it was Trouble, and I understand about Getting Cookies and Not Getting Cookies, but I just wondered if it was a Boy Thing versus a Girl Thing.

7. Deborah says:

Thanks for sharing these letters and pictures with us, Rena. The picture of you doing the Directed Retrieve made me gasp at first, before I scrolled down to the caption. I initially thought you were carrying an enormous frog, with its two legs dangling out of your mouth. That would have been a different sort of training all together!

• Rena Beagle says:

I could catch a frog! I do not think I would bring it back, though…