Dust Bowl Dart

The dust bowl lives.  And apparently some of us are crazy enough to run agility in it.

Dart is still an incredibly green dog of Intermittent Brain–still figuring out what his job is on the course, and still figuring out how to hold his brain together.  He’s a dog with a need for speed, which is great!  He’s also a dog who loses his brain the moment he hits about 3/4 of his speed–and a dog who needs so much support on the course that I don’t have the chance to handle optimally for such speed.

Anyway, we’re still putting it all together.  This weekend, we had some decent days…if you don’t count the weather for one of them!  It was the kind of weather where handlers walk around looking stunned and “what am I even doing here?”  We had grit in our eyes, grit in our ears, grit in our mouths…  But inhalers and dust masks in hand, off we went…

My little video camera doesn’t have the quality to film under the covered arena for the same reason this venue baffles a lot of green dogs: the contrast of shadow with light.  So this video isn’t here because you can see all of Dart’s run.

It’s here because you can see the wind blowing his ears at the start line, and the dust swirling through the jumps, and the jump wings flapping like real wings, and most of all because you can see what’s going on in the background (and also happening under the roof; it’s just harder to see).

But you must ignore the blobby person trying to run.  I have it on good authority that she’s been sick this year, and it shows.

This entry was posted in Agility, D'Artagnan Beagle. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Dust Bowl Dart

I am glad I missed the crazy wind in Albuquerque for the crazy wind in the San Gabriel mts outside LA, the day before…

Yeah, the wind itself was merely crazy. The dust storm aspect of it tipped over into insane…

3. Ruth says:

Wowzers! That’s a lot of wind.

makes my eyes water and my sinuses hurt just to watch. OTOH, the little story factory in the dusting corners of my mind is beginning to plot a story with wind and dust and creatures who would be invisible without the dust, don’t know if the dust creatures are malevolent as they sound.

5. Sue Farrell says:

Poor Dart—how could he handle all the distractions of the wind?

You know, the dogs did well overall in the wind. It’s been more of a problem in other venues. In this one, I think the conditions actually served to minimize the usual distractions of this arena.

(It’s a place of sensory overload, with lots of sharp light changes, shadows, intense visual clutter, arena scents, horses stalled nearby, crowded conditions–and the NOISE! Everything echoes, from conversation to the smallest bark.)

7. Sue Farrell says:

Since I have two beagles I didn’t know there was such a thing as a SMALL bark!

Sue–bwah ha ha!

In that arena, there *isn’t,* no matter the breed. But Beagles generally don’t need any help from acoustics!