Why Miley?

Posted on Friday

Yeah, just one of those philosophically meaningful things that cross my mind now and then. As in, every time I see a LOL caption that makes it clear we’re in a permanent Pick on Miley Cyrus season.

‘Cause, y’know, I don’t get it.

She’s a kid.

Maybe it’s the lineage? After all, dad Billy Ray’s instant saturation with Achy Breaky–yeah, I got my fill of that in about twelve hours, living in a one-station country-listening county–sets a precedent of sorts.

But still. One teenaged kid, species: Disney Star. Hardly the first. Heavily managed–I mean, seriously–and threading her way through difficult and public choices. Not all of them perfect, but none of them…well, say, in the category of shaving her hair off. Not the most stunning talent ever, far from the worst. And anyway, those songs aren’t meant for you or for me.

(Er. Unless I have a lot more chronologically youthful readers than I can imagine. Says the author of a certain number of steamy Nocturnes.)

So why Miley? Why the sneer, the nasty, the scorn?

Nope. Don’t get it.

Well, that’s okay. Maybe I’m better off that way!

This especially profound post brought to you courtesy of Tax Week

This entry was posted in Miscellaneous! and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Why Miley?

1. Heather says:

I don’t get it either. It seems the media just has to have the “star of the week” to pick on and smear. That gets all the people who love to gossip going on about it. And of course those bad mouthings get back to said star, and I would imagine it’s heartbreaking and has driven any number of young stars to drugs and/or drinks to ease the hurt. It’s a vicious cycle we humans seem to go through.

2. Amy says:

They seem to love to build them up so they have something to tear down. They make a big deal out of the insignificant stuff so that they can make a story out of it. After all the media does to this poor girl I wouldn’t be surprised if she were like some of the Hollywood divas. I love that she has been able to keep her head and remain a good role model for the children that adore her. My 2 year old daughter is a fan. It’s really sad to see all these “Adults” bashing a well rounded young lady into the ground.

Hi, Amy!

I have to say, I half expected to get a lot of replies saying, “Because she’s [dumb/untalented/blahblahblah]!” I’m really glad to be bringing out some positive posts. I don’t have kids, but I spent time watching the Disney channel when I was pondering some YA work, and I really liked what I saw of the way they handled that show. As you say…good role model, well-rounded, and good grief, anyone bashing any child star on growing pains mistakes ought to imagine their own teenaged years in that spotlight… Mine were stunningly mild, but still held plenty of embarrassing moments!

3. Kada says:

You don’t get it because you’re not a petty jealous person who delights in the misfortune of others.

I don’t get it either, but than I have an allergic response to celebrity-media. I haven’t seen much of her (a TV show about a dual life as star and ordinary kid, sometimes caught by accident on Saturday) and she seemed like a nice, reasonably talented, *normal sized* kid. With a celebrity list full of adults making obviously stupid choices–people old enough to know better for sure–why not go after them, if you must go after anyone? Better yet, why not ignore the attention-seeking creeps, celebrate what any of the celebrity bunch does right, and thus reward good behavior?

Of course we the public have some need to know about some bad behavior–but whatever mistakes a teenager makes in growing up? No.

Celebrate what any of them does right…sounds good to me. Kinda sounds nicer to be around, too!